The U.S. is gone after a huge upset by Puerto Rico, but the Puerto Ricans will need a few more upsets to leap up the table. Their first chance comes tonight against the Dominican Republic. Check previous editions here and look for a new chart tomorrow!
- Dominican Republic (5-0): Has a huge showdown with the United States tomorrow. Is their pitching better than the U.S.’?
- Japan (5-1): Japan had a more difficult time with the Netherlands this time, didn’t need to bring their ‘A’ game.
- Netherlands (4-3): Another loss to Japan, though they are missing three players. Will they get a chance at a third game? And does Jurickson Profar get them there?
- Cuba (4-2): Víctor Mesa must be having a fit after another Dutch loss to Japan, knows he had one of the top three lineups.
- Puerto Rico (4-2): Continues to do a lot of things right and get the key plays. Will it be enough to get them by the Dominican Republic and the Japan or the Netherlands?
- USA (3-3): Everyone expects the U.S. to play for the world title, but will they even be around to contest it?
- Chinese Taipei (2-3): Taiwan could easily be two spots lower, but keep their ranking because they advanced.
- Italy (2-3): Italy’s fairytale ended with their best pitcher sitting in the bullpen. Would they be No. 6 if Grilli had shut down Puerto Rico?
- Canada (1-2): Certainly has the talent, but the pitching staff did not give them much of a chance.
- Mexico (1-2): Has to qualify for 2017. How easy will MLB make their bracket? South Africa, a European team, and who else?
- Korea (2-1): Still smarting from their tiebreaker elimination.
- Venezuela (1-2): Well, they won a game and Cabrera hit a home run. Not much else to say.
- Spain (0-3): Looked very solid, and it’s a pity the team was really a Caribbean team with a token Spaniard.
- Brazil (0-3): Came awfully close to going 3-0, but bullpen did not have the depth.
- Australia (0-3): Very poor showing for a ragtag group of minor leaguers with international experience.
- China (1-2): Could not hit at all (.146 average) and only had a couple serviceable arms, but got really lucky.
How would you rank the teams?