The semifinals in the World Baseball Classic are set! How will the rankings look after the Dominicans take on the Netherlands and Japan faces Puerto Rico? Check previous editions here and look for a new chart tomorrow!
- Dominican Republic (6-0): Only once before has a team entered the semifinals undefeated, and it did not go well for Korea, who was shut out by Japan. Will this happen to the Dominicans?
- Japan (5-1): Japan had a more difficult time with the Netherlands this time, didn’t need to bring their ‘A’ game.
- Netherlands (4-3): Another loss to Japan, though they are missing three players. Will they get a chance at a third game? And does Jurickson Profar get them there?
- Cuba (4-2): Víctor Mesa must be having a fit after another Dutch loss to Japan, knows he had one of the top three lineups.
- Puerto Rico (4-3): Japan will be a good opponent for Puerto Rico as they do a lot of the same things well. Can Puerto Rico out-play them for a shot at the title?
- USA (3-3): Everyone expects the U.S. to play for the world title, but will they even be around to contest it?
- Chinese Taipei (2-3): Taiwan could easily be two spots lower, but keep their ranking because they advanced.
- Italy (2-3): Italy’s fairytale ended with their best pitcher sitting in the bullpen. Would they be No. 6 if Grilli had shut down Puerto Rico?
- Canada (1-2): Certainly has the talent, but the pitching staff did not give them much of a chance.
- Mexico (1-2): Has to qualify for 2017. How easy will MLB make their bracket? South Africa, a European team, and who else?
- Korea (2-1): Still smarting from their tiebreaker elimination.
- Venezuela (1-2): Well, they won a game and Cabrera hit a home run. Not much else to say.
- Spain (0-3): Looked very solid, and it’s a pity the team was really a Caribbean team with a token Spaniard.
- Brazil (0-3): Came awfully close to going 3-0, but bullpen did not have the depth.
- Australia (0-3): Very poor showing for a ragtag group of minor leaguers with international experience.
- China (1-2): Could not hit at all (.146 average) and only had a couple serviceable arms, but got really lucky.
How would you rank the teams?