These rankings are purely subjective and reflect Extra Innings’ thoughts. Check previous editions here and look for an updated chart tomorrow!
- Cuba (4-1): Earns a day of rest before facing the Dutch and will be hungry for vengeance.
- Dominican Republic (3-0): Clearly a favourite after sweeping a brutal Pool C.
- Japan (4-1): Has one game left in the second round, but has already qualified for the semis.
- USA (2-1): Seems to have finally found their groove against Canada and should be firing on all cylinders in round two.
- Netherlands (3-2): Honkbal magic might have run out with a showdown with Cuba looming.
- Puerto Rico (2-1): Three very close games would seem to indicate they have a balanced club.
- Italy (2-1): An even bigger surprise than the Dutch, Italy crushed Canada and beat México’s Sergio Romo in the ninth.
- Chinese Taipei (2-3): Unlucky versus Japan and fell apart against Cuba. Hard to tell how good they could be.
- Canada (1-2): Certainly has the talent, but the pitching staff did not give them much of a chance.
- Mexico (1-2): Eliminated, and probably will need to qualify, which is a huge upset and not deserved for a team that looked dominant at times.
- Korea (2-1): Still smarting from their tiebreaker elimination.
- Venezuela (1-2): Easily the biggest disappointment of the WBC. Where are those bats?
- Spain (0-3): Looked very solid, and it’s a pity the team was really a Caribbean team with a token Spaniard.
- Brazil (0-3): Came awfully close to going 3-0, but bullpen did not have the depth.
- Australia (0-3): Very poor showing for a ragtag group of minor leaguers with international experience.
- China (1-2): Could not hit at all (.146 average) and only had a couple serviceable arms, but got really lucky.
How would you rank the teams?